Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INITIATES OPEN BETA OF
DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FOR PLAYSTATION®SUITEOpen Beta Version of PlayStation®Suite SDK Now Publicly Available for Free. Program Streamlines Content Development Environment and Expands the World of PlayStation to Open Operating System Based Portable Devices.
Tokyo, April 19, 2012– Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the open beta of Developer Program for PlayStation®Suite (PS Suite) is available to the public starting today. The PS Suite initiative delivers the world of PlayStation® to open operating system based portable devices.
With the aim of offering a more streamlined development environment for creating content for portable devices, Developer Program for PS Suite provides developers with an early version of PlayStation®Suite SDK (PS Suite SDK) *1 before the official launch later this year. Developers are also able to receive technical support from SCE through the developers forum where developers can exchange useful information *2.
Starting today, SCE will release the open beta version of PS Suite SDK (free of charge) through Developer Program for PS Suite (Open Beta). With the open beta version of PS Suite SDK, developers can conduct performance verification of their content on PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) in addition to PS Certified devices. The open beta version of PS Suite SDK incorporates a 2D graphics game engine and 2D physical engine, as well as a variety of content samples which utilize these libraries, in order to help developers create content that is optimized for portable devices.
(Please refer to the special site link for more information)
In close collaboration with its business partners, SCE will further accelerate the expansion of PlayStation™Certified (PS Certified)*3 devices. SCE will also release the official version of PS Suite SDK along with the official launch of Developer Program for PlayStation®Suite later this year. The official development program will allow developers to distribute their content through PlayStation®Store*4 on a commercial basis, after completing the license agreement with SCE ($99 US annually) *5.
SCE will further expand the PlayStation® entertainment experience on an open operating system, through PS Suite, in the fast evolving mobile market.
- *1A set of development tools and software libraries for PS Suite.
- *2Developers need to sign in with a Sony Entertainment Network（SEN）account to post comments in the developers forum or conduct performance verification on PS Vita.
- *3The license program to expand PS Suite, dedicated for portable hardware manufacturers. SCE will not only license logos but also provide necessary development support. As of April 19, 2012, the line-up of PlayStation™Certified devices include Xperia™ arc, Xperia™ acro,Xperia™ PLAY, Xperia™ acro HD, Xperia™ S, Xperia™ ion from Sony Mobile Communications AB, and "Sony Tablet" S and "Sony Tablet" P from Sony Corporation. Model name may vary by region. Sales area may vary by model.
- *4Users can download vast digital content including games through PlayStation Store for PS3, PSP, PS Vita and PS Certified devices.
- *5The license fee differs by countries or regions. The phased rollout of target countries or region will be announced later when ready. After closing the license agreement, developers are able to use PS Suite SDK and conduct verification on PS Certified devices and PS Vita to distribute their content on PS Store. PS Suite SDK itself is available free of charge.
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes, develops and markets the PlayStation®2 (PS2®) computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system and the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system. SCEI has revolutionized home entertainment since they launched PlayStation in 1994. PS2® further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP® is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games with high-quality full-motion video and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3® is an advanced computer system, incorporating the powerful Cell Broadband Engine and RSX processors. PS Vita is an ultimate portable entertainment system that offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context. SCEI also delivers the PlayStation® experience to open operating systems through PlayStation®Suite, a cross platform and cross device initiative. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI, along with its affiliated companies, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC., and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and its division companies, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Sony Computer Entertainment Asia develops, publishes, markets and distributes hardware and software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide.
PlayStation, PS3, PS2 and PSP are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Xperia is a trademark or a registered trademark of Sony Mobile Communications AB. "Sony Tablet" is a trademark of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.