Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES
PLAYSTATION®VITA TVEasily Access Various Video and Gaming Content on Your Home TV
With the PlayStation® Family’s New Entertainment System,
Available in Japan on November 14 at 9,954 yen (Including Tax)
Tokyo, September 9, 2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today introduced PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV), a new entertainment system within the PlayStation® family that will allow users to easily access video services, games and various content on their TV at home. The new system adopts chip sets and system software of the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system and its size is 6.5cm × 10.5cm, smallest of all PlayStation® platforms that connect to a TV. With PS Vita TV, users can comfortably enjoy various video services in high quality, including “TSUTAYA TV,” TSUTAYA’s video service with more than 40,000 contents new and old, “niconico,” delivering array of content including live broadcasts, and “Hulu,” an online video subscription service with unlimited access to movies, TVs and anime, by simply connecting the system to the network. In addition, more than 1,300 software titles for PS Vita*1 as well as various network services for PS Vita and PlayStation®Plus membership service can be enjoyed on the system. SCE will deliver PlayStation® experience available on PS Vita TV through system software updates and by enriching the content, to existing PlayStation® fans, as well as those who have not experienced PlayStation® products.
PS Vita TV will be available first in Japan prior to any other regions, on November 14, 2013, at a recommended retail price (RRP) of 9,954 yen (including tax). “PS Vita TV Value Pack” comes with Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3) and 8 GB Memory Card, will also be available on the same day at 14,994 yen (including tax). Additionally, a promotional campaign will run at its launch in Japan, offering PlayStation®Plus 90 days free trial with every “PS Vita TV Value Pack” purchase*2.
Main features of the PS Vita TV system are as follows;
Various video services*3
For the Japanese market, a variety of attractive video services will be available including “SKY PerfecTV! On-Demand,” “TBS THE WORLD HERITAGE SELECTION,” “DMM.com,” “TV dogatch” and “U-NEXT” in addition to “TSUTAYA TV,” “niconico,” “Hulu” and video contents available on PlayStation®Store. SCE will continue to further broaden the video services available on PS Vita TV, delivering entertainment experiences only available on PlayStation®.
Vast lineup of software titles
PS Vita TV offers a vast lineup of 1,300 software titles*1 from PS Vita games, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) games and PlayStaion® games from PSOne classics, including all-time favorites to the latest blockbuster titles like DANGANRONPA1&2 Reload (SPIKE CHUNSOFT Co., Ltd.), GOD EATER 2 (NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.) and SOUL SACRIFICE DELTA (Sony Computer Entertainment). Users will be able to enjoy all of these titles using the Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3).。
PlayStation®4 (PS4™) remote play
As with PS Vita, PS Vita TV will also support PS4™ remote play and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®4) through future system software update*4. This will allow users to enjoy most of the PS4™ games on PS Vita TV as if they are playing it on the PS4™ system.
In addition to the basic applications preinstalled on the system such as “Browser,” “Email” and “Party,” an application for voice chat and text chat, users will have access to various network service applications available for download including; Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service, “radiko.jp,” *5 an Internet Protocol simulcast radio service, “Reader for PlayStation®Vita,” *5 an e-book application for reading books and comics, and “LiveTweet for PlayStation®Vita”*6 an application that allows users to easily find what information they want from Twitter*5. Further enhancing the entertainment experience, new services such as “JOYSOUND.TV (a tentative title),” a streaming karaoke service will also become available for the system.
Quickly resume game play with Standby Mode
Similar with PS Vita, users can put their PS Vita TV system in standby mode, temporarily saving the system status. With this feature, users will not have to turn off the system completely and can instantly resume their games from the point where they left off.
Additionally, if a user owns a TV with CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) specification like BRAVIA™ Sync features*7, they can set it up to turn on automatically when the PS Vita TV power is turned on, allowing users to resume their game by a touch of a button.
Smooth, quick and easy control
PS Vita TV adopts PS Vita system software and user interface, allowing users to smoothly, quickly and easily operate the menu as well as applications and games using DUALSHOCK®3.
Fun and Unique features of PS Vita TV
- PS Vita TV users can play games with PS Vita users via Ad Hoc mode. Those users who are not playing but in the same room can enjoy the televised game play that the PS Vita TV users are playing.
- Up to 2 DUALSHOCK®3 controllers can be connected to PS Vita TV, allowing users to enjoy multiplayer games from PS One classics titles.
- Videos stored within Memory Card or those videos being played on the “Browser” of the PS Vita system*8 can easily be transferred to PS Vita TV to be viewed on the large TV screen. While being transferred, PS Vita can be used as a remote controller using the video player application.
- PS Vita TV will also support “nasne™,” a networked recorder and media storage device. Users will not only be able to enjoy content stored within the device but also back up their game data as well as save data on “nasne™” via the network*9.
PS Vita TV will continuously evolve with future system software updates that further strengthen its features and services on PSNSM and PlayStation®Plus, as well as further promoting the connectivity with the PS4™ system.
SCE will continuously expand the world of entertainment through PS Vita TV platform by further enhancing its services and features.
- *1As of Aug. Includes PS Vita games, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) games, PSOne classics (PlayStation® games). Since PS Vita is equipped with special features that cannot be supported on DUALSHOCK®3, such as touch screen, rear touch pad, motion sensors, camera, electronic compass and microphones, not all PS Vita games are playable on PS Vita TV. Supported titles differ by country and regions. Please refer to the below website for further details about supported software titles within Japan.
- *2Please refer to the Japanese press release for further details.
- *3Please refer to the Japanese press release for further details. Applications are downloadable from PlayStation®Store. Users will need a SEN account to download content from PlayStation®Store. Users may need to register separately depending on what services they wish to use.
- *4Details will be announced when ready.
- *5“radiko” is a registered trademark of radiko Co., Ltd.. “Reader” is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Twitter is a trademark of Twitter, Inc.
- *6Application developed and distributed by SCE.
- *7Some CEC supported device may function but SCE does not guarantee its support. Bravia Sync is a trademark of Sony Corporation.
- *8Some movie files will not be transferrable or playable depending on the network environment and video data format. Video downloaded from PlayStation®Store is not supported. PS Vita TV and PS Vita needs to have the latest system software installed.
- *9Details will be announced when ready.
＜PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV) Product Outline＞
|Product name||PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV)|
|Product code||VTE-1000 AB01|
|Release date||November 14, 2013|
|Recommended retail price||9,954 yen (including tax)|
|External dimensions||Approx. 65.0 × 105.0 × 13.6 mm (length × height × thickness)|
|CPU||ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4core)|
|Main slots and connectors||
|Wireless communication||・IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n=1×1) (Wi-Fi)
・Bluetooth® 2.1＋EDR (A2DP,AVRCP,HSP,HID)
|Internal memory card||1GB|
|AV output||720p, 1080i, 480p|
|Sound output||LPCM 2ch|
|Power||AC adaptor: DC 5V|
|Maximum rated power consumption||Approx. 2.8W|
- *1DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller is required to enjoy this product.
- *The internal memory card contains space that is available for users and space that is reserved for the system, therefore the actual space that is free for users is smaller than the total space stated in this document.
- *Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
＜PlayStation®Vita TV Value Pack＞
|Product name||PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV) Value Pack|
|Product code||VTE-1000 AA01|
|Release date||November 14, 2013|
|Recommended retail price||14,994 yen (including tax)|
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes, develops and markets the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system and the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system. SCEI has revolutionized home entertainment since they launched PlayStation in 1994. PlayStation®2 further enhanced the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP® broadens the entertainment experiences into the portable arena. PS3® is an advanced computer system, incorporating the powerful Cell Broadband Engine and RSX processors. PSNSM, that includes PlayStation®Store, delivers unparalleled online gaming experience to PlayStation users. PS Vita is an ultimate portable entertainment system that offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity. SCEI also delivers the PlayStation® experience to open operating systems through PlayStation®Mobile, a cross device platform. PlayStation®4, available this holiday season, is the next generation computer entertainment system that redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization and deeply integrated social capabilities. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI, along with its affiliated companies, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC., and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and its division companies, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia develops, publishes, markets and distributes hardware and software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide.
PlayStation, PSP and DUALSHOCK are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. PS4 is a trademark of the same company
ARM and Cortex are trademarks or registered trademarks of ARM Ltd.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is under license.
All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.